This post originally appeared on https://www.devicetricks.com/device-not-migrated-error/
While updating your Windows you might have faced a common error message Device not migrated due to partial or ambiguous match. Before exploring the solutions to fix this error, you need to know, “What is device migration in Windows” and what are the causes of “device not migrated on Windows 10”? Keep reading!
Overview of “Device not Migrated” error
While updating the Windows version, Not migrated due to partial or ambiguous match is the common error. “Device not Migrated” message is received by many users of Windows while upgrading to the latest updates.
During the Windows update, the drivers are not migrated properly due to various reasons. Obviously, there could be something wrong during the process due to which the device won’t work properly and the device not migrated error occurs.
As you know that every device driver needs to be migrated to the latest version of your Windows if you want it to run on your computer properly after the update. In the Windows updating process, the most common issues behind this error are driver incompatibility and file corruption.
There are other errors also related to driver failure or incompatibility of drivers such as Driver power state failure Windows 10.
Why “Device could not be Migrated” error occurs?
- You were using an older version of Windows and then updated with Windows 10 or installed Windows 10 by removing the older one.
- You have installed 2 operating systems on the same device.
- Some installed device driver is not compatible with your operating system
- Some important system files have been damaged and need to repair or reinstall.
- The peripheral device driver is not supported to the latest version of the OS i.e. Windows 10.
- PnP (Plug and Play) feature is not compatible with your latest version of the Windows 10.
How to check the error message of “Device could not be Migrated”?
The error will not pop up on your screen. Instead, you need to manually check the issue of not migration. Follow the below steps to check whether your connected device is working or not.
- Hover your mouse cursor to My PC, right-click on it and then click on Manage listed in the drop-down menu.
- Now click on “Device Manager”. You can see the list of all the required device drivers there.
NOTE: You can press the Win+R key and then type devmgmt.msc and hit Enter to open the device manager window directly.
- Now select the driver which is not working properly.
- After this right-click on the selected one and then click on properties.
- Now click on the Events tab, and then you can see the message “Device not migrated” message in the below box.
Fix “Device not Migrated due to partial or ambiguous match error” on Windows 10
The error of “device not migrated” also known as “was not migrated due to partial or ambiguous match” or “Device not migrated on Windows 10”. Here, we are going to share the easiest solutions to fix the device migration issues. So, follow the below steps to fix the migration issue.
Try different ports to connect your USB Device
Due to some moisture and improper use of USB ports, it may not work properly and hence can show you the error of “was not migrated due to partial or ambiguous match” or “device migration error” on Windows 10.
In this case, you can plugin in and try with some other ports available in your system. To make sure whether your USB ports are working or not, you can check by inserting some other working pen-drives or USB devices.
If it’s working properly then the problem exists in your current device and you need to look for other solutions which are given below.
Automatically Update the Driver Causing Issue
- Right-click on the Computer icon given on your desktop and then choose “Manage”.
- Now click on “Device Manager” to see the list of drivers installed in your system. You can even use the short key to open the Device Manager window directly by pressing Win+X+M keys.
- Now right-click on the driver which is affected and then click on “Update Driver Software”.
- In the next window, choose the option “Search automatically for updated driver software”. Make sure, you have an active internet connection in your system. The device will be updated automatically by fetching the driver updates from its cloud storage.
Manually Update Your Chipset Driver
Sometimes, if your chipset drivers are not updated, it will pull you to perform the task normally. The outdated Chipset Driver is one of the causes to show you “device could not be migrated” error.
So, follow the steps to update the driver for removing “was not migrated due to partial or ambiguous match” error from Windows 10.
- Open device manager by pressing Win+X and R respectively.
- Choose the device which is giving you trouble and then right-clicks on it and press on “Update Driver Software”.
- A pop-up window will be opened with two options. Choose the second one i.e. “Browse my computer for driver software”. It will allow you to browse the location where you have saved the execution file of this particular driver.
- Now choose the location of your .exe file by clicking on the Browse button and check on “Include subfolders”. It will fetch the driver execution file automatically from there. Now you need to click on the Next button and then relax. Your chipset driver will be updated in a few minutes.
Disable & Enable the Concerned Driver
- Press Win+X & R keyto open the Device Manager.
- Choose the affected driver and right-click to Disable.
- A warning message will be popped-up. Now click on Yes. On a snap of a figure, the selected driver will be disabled.
- To enable the driver again, you need to follow the above similar process. Right-Click on the disabled driver and thereafter click on Enable.
- It will be enabled immediately and then it’s ready to work smoothly.
Install Driver Using Compatibility Mode
If the above solutions are not working for you, you can follow the below steps to fix the issue of the Device not migrated on Windows 10 using compatibility mode installation.
- Download the updated driver which is causing an error, from the official website of the brand who has manufactured your desktop or laptop.
- Open the location where you have saved the downloaded .exe file.
- Right-click on the .exe file and then click on properties.
- Now go to the compatibility tab and check the box given besides Run this program in compatibility mode for:
- After that, choose the Windows 10 by clicking on the drop-down icon and further click on Apply and then press Ok to save changes. That’s it.
Check corrupted system Files using cmd
You might be facing the device not migrated error on Windows 10 due to damage to any system files. You can follow the below steps to check the damaged or corrupted system files using cmd or command prompt.
- Go to the Start menu & search for Run & then Click it. You can also open the Run Command window directly by pressing Win+R keys together.
- Now type cmd inside the box and then press enter to open command prompt window.
- Now inside the cmd window, type the command “sfc/scannow”. Here SFC stands for System File Checker. Now, the system will start scanning and then it will automatically repair the damaged file.
Reinstall the Specific Driver
If you are facing this error then this is the most common and the simplest method to fix this issue. Just reinstall the Driver which is causing the problem and most probably the error will be resolved. To reinstall the driver, follow the below-listed steps:
- Right-click on the Start button to choose Device Manager.
- Find the specific Device Driver, right-click on it and select Uninstall Device.
- Click OK to apply and restart the system.
- Once the system restarts the Windows will automatically download and install the latest version of the driver. Or you can download and install the latest version of the specific driver from the official website of that driver.
Reset BIOS settings
Sometimes the issue “Device not migrated on Windows” occurs due to improper BIOS settings. You can reset BIOS (Basic Input Output System) and then plug in your device again. It will work smoothly after resetting and updating the BIOS version.
For entering into the setting, you need to switch on your system and then quickly press the F4 button (function keys may vary the system’s model-to-model). After entering into the BIOS window, you need to look for the reset option and then follow the further process given there.
There are several brands in the market which are manufacturing laptops and computers. And unfortunately, it’s hard for us to describe the steps for each model. So, it’s better to ask customer care relevant to your system’s brand for resetting the BIOS or comment below with your model number. Our windows experts will revert you with the proper solution.
Use the OS Reset function
If your problem is still unsolved, you can try this solution to fix the device not migrated issue. In this solution, we are going to take you through the steps to reset your system and make it a new OS installed device which will work smoothly with default settings. Please note, it won’t affect your personal documents and files but will remove the additional installed software by you.
- Press Win key and then search for Recovery. A window will be opened with three options. You need to click on get started given below the first option i.e. “Refresh your PC without affecting your files”.
- Follow the further process asked by Windows to complete the action and your system will be reset and will start working without any issue.
I hope you got success in fixing the issue of “Device not migrated” or “was not migrated due to partial or ambiguous match”. Please do share your feedback below and also, let us know which method worked for you? Wanna some more DeviceTricks?
You may also like:
- What is Project Free TV? Is it Legal? Alternative? Need to Know
- How To Use Lucky Patcher Full Tutorial 2021
- [SOLVED] Hp Laptop Caps Lock Blinking Continuously | Bestsoltips
- 9 Best Java Decompiler [Offline Java Decompiler] – HdfsTutorial
- Download Scribd Documents for Free – Still Works in 2021 – Filelem
- 9 Best Minimalist PC Cases for a Clean Look 2021 – GPCD
- Examples of Application Software And Uses – NollyTech.com
- How to Remove Tag on Facebook from Comments in 2021 | NoobSpace